Thursday 3 December 2009

tutu-torial


I surprised myself this week. I sewed this skirt without a pattern, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

My beautiful girl finishes primary school this year (!). For her graduation the theme is Fluoro (back in apparently!) A while ago at Spotlight buying something else we had a look around for fluoro material. It was pretty thin on the ground but we did find this netting material, on sale, and snapped up a couple of metres (I think you need at least 2 and a quarter). We had a vague idea of producing a fairy skirt copying a favourite pink version that has survived in the dressup box since she was tiny. The idea is to wear it over black with some other fluoro accessories.
Anyway, we're both really happy with our fluoro fairy skirt. And it was quick and easy too (took me an hour probably) so I thought I might post a rough pattern for anyone who's interested. I'm sure the clever ones of you could easily improve on it. My sewing skills are quite basic!
It would make a good Christmas present and if you don't count the tiny bits of elastic and interfacing I used, which were in the stash already, this cost about $6.


Anyway, here's the pattern, if you click the image I think it will show a larger size image, but I'm happy to email a pdf if anyone can't see it, or upload it to my Flickr. I might do that anyway.

The waistband was added to hide the elastic as the net is seethrough, the interfacing and doubling it over made it opaque. I ironed it on mid-heat which bonded the interfacing and didn't melt the net.

If you wanted I think you could make it longer or add another layer. You could edge the skirt too but it doesn't fray. A couple of sequins might be a nice touch too!


I'd love to hear from you if you make one yourself.

6 comments :

  1. Magnificent
    tutu
    and lovely
    tut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing...this will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for lime green fairy skirts! Yay for you and your brave sewing moves :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this .I have bookmarked it... hopefully he bookmark will last a few years until I have my own girl and she is old enough for the cutest tutu ever. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's gorgeous! thank you for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)