Thursday 21 June 2012

my creative space - prism

prism DSC_0203DSC_0205DSC_0205DSC_0223

I had so much fun playing in Leslie's Handprinted Swap last year that I was delighted when she decided to set up another swap this year.

I am a little obsessed with tile patterns and this Prism design was inspired by a photo I saw of a Portuguese tiles recently. Its not so different to the Starry pattern I printed for last year's swap and I've used the same technique for printing as I did last year too, namely foam block printing using a perspex base.

 It was great to get a nudge from the swap to follow through with some more of this printing. I love the process and I love the handmade patina (read overprinty smudgeiness!) of it. I'm delighted with the way this has turned out. In the end I used the colours that I had on hand but once I get some more inks I'm going to print up some fabric for cushions for me, oh and maybe some for the shop too.

I see reading last year's post that I promised a tutorial last time (for the next week no less!). Good news is that I took photos of the process this time and I've started putting together a simple how to so if you are interested in doing your own you can have a go. And at risk of repeating myself, I should have it up next week :-)

More creative spaces here.

15 comments :

  1. The orange looks great, but I think I like the red best. Love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you getting your geometry on, love prisms too, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second attempt at leaving a comment!
    Susie they are amazing. I love the pattern and the patina, its not smudge. Do put them in your shop. I insist! Or words to that effect! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love block prints stamping and how they look quite rustic.. very cool! Love the colours you have used especially the goldy yellow! They will be very lucky recipients :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my this is beautiful!!!! Love it, love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Great colours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I think I like it even better than last year's starry print ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this and can think of about 1,000 projects I'd like to make with the fabric :). Printing is something I've really been wanting to try but haven't found the time. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great Susie! Love the diamonds. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from tile patterns lately too :) Love the method too - looking forward to process shots. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are too funny Susie! Look forward to the tutorial. This looks like a great technique. Such awesome results. Love the design and the hand-made look of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perspex seems to be a UK thing. Can I find a substitute for the USA? I love this, and I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i just love this design - simple, interesting and inspiring. also, a beautiful shade of orange.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)