Tuesday 22 May 2012

show & tell - Nova Flitter

show&tell24bUmbrella Prints Trimmings2011

It's been particularly hard this month choosing pictures for Show and Tell from all the inspiring projects on Nova Flitter's Cuppa and a Catch up blog, there are so many beautiful projects to choose from!

I'd come across Nova's work before online but I think I discovered the blog properly last year when she won the Umbrella Prints trimmings competition with these pieces above. I was really inspired by the way she had turned the small cuts of fabric into lots of beautiful sewing purses and bags and cards. I find it so hard to throw even the smallest scraps of pretty fabric out and here was someone who showed how to make the very most of every thread!

In fact looking through her blog I see that many of Nova's projects use small pieces to great effect. Take her Liberty Scrap Challenge theme where she shows each month how to sew with those precious small leftovers from larger Liberty projects. And in her distinctive style they never look like afterthoughts but more like a chance to mix and match your favourite patterns.

I also love the way she mixes embroidery into many of her pieces, including the wonderful redwork quilt she sewed with her Mum. Nova gives a wonderful tutorial on her blog which shows how to customise your own images for embroidery. I'm definitely going to try this.

As well as having her projects in a couple of beautiful craft books, Nova has recently produced patterns of two of her beautiful projects for sale, the pretty Petal Pocket pillow and Nesting Fabric Bowls (which helped her be named runner up in a recent Lotta Jansdotter competition). I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to future projects from this talented lady. Thanks again Nova for being part of Show & Tell this month!

name
Nova Flitter
location
Sunshine Coast, Qld
blog
http://acuppaandacatchup.com/
shop
http://acuppaandacatchup.com/my-patterns/
flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acardaday/
pinterest
Pinterest – http://pinterest.com/novaflitter
ravelry
http://www.ravelry.com/people/NovaFlitter
 
1. Can you give us a short description of your blog/style/work
I am inspired by & love many different things & styles so I settle for ‘random eclectic’ when it comes to describing my style. I think that describes all aspects of my life actually, not just the crafty part. My blog is a space where I record & share my crafty makes.

2. Why blog? How did you start?
Andy had a few months work in far north western Australia about three years ago & never one to miss out on an adventure, off I trotted too.  Hmmmm... to say I was homesick is an understatement. From the moment I stepped off the plane I knew I didn’t fit. Not to be beaten though & with my trusty  sewing machine in tow together (from the comfort of our caravan and 40+ degree heat) we conquered it and I reached out via the interweb to other crafty types. Starting a blog in that strange time got me through it and I made many friends.

petal pocket

3. Family taught/Self-taught/Trained?
I guess I’ve just always been crafty. My mum is very creative and I grew up making & snipping & gluing & stitching.

4. Workspace - studio or kitchen table?
I have my very own playroom. It’s actually two smallish adjoining rooms which I just love. I think though that however much room I had for crafty shenanigans I could always fill another room, and another and another...

5. Blog/Shop name, where does it come from?
I have a bit of a tea habit & most things around these parts revolve around a brew -  the blog name came about as it’s just something I would say to friends – “let’s have a cuppa & a catch up!”

shirt quilt

6. Favourite media to work in?
Fabric, though I am loving the yarn right now too.

7. Ambitions/future directions/future projects/medium you'd like to try?
I’d really like to expand my new found love of yarn into learning to crochet at some point. I have dabbled in silver smithing in the past and would really love to explore that more as well one day.

8. Are you neat and organised or, ahem, creatively messy?
Creatively cluttered would perhaps best describe my work space. I do like to make in a tidy & organised space though so have to work hard to keep it neat(ish).


nesting fabric bowls

9. Favourite handmade, handcrafted item you own not made by you.
I love everything that has been made for me & as well as receiving some beautiful handcrafted gifts I have been lucky to participate in some wonderful swaps too. It’s so special to have pieces around the place that have been made by others just for you.

10. Favourite food/recipe?
Cheese. Love the stuff.

11. Favourite colour?
Blue. Ooo & green. I love grey too. I’m also partial to a splash of red.

12. Star sign?
Cancerian.
keys
Liberty Scrap Challenge - Feb Edition

13. Favourite place, landscape (not necessarily Australian)?
Home. There’s no place like it.

14. Any tricks for juggling life/work/family with creative pursuits?
Make any spare moments count - it’s amazing what can be achieved in just 10 minutes sometimes.

hello Liberty!

15. Favourite artists, artisans, crafters?
I am constantly inspired by others & it is really hard to pick a favourite.  Currently I am loving the Foreclosure quilt series by  Kathryn Clark http://www.kathrynclark.com/foreclosure-quilts.html

16. Your favourite thing you've made/written/done.
I really enjoyed the journey of the redwork quilt I made with my mum via correspondence. Living so far from family it’s great to be able to shorten the distance a little with a crafty connection like that.

Liberty Scrap Challenge - March Edition! Liberty scarf


17. Three words to describe yourself?
Content.  Crafty.  Happy.  

18. What do you like to do besides creating? Walking, reading, camping, gardening, cooking (& eating).

red work quilt

7 comments :

  1. Always love to revisit Nova's projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nova's stuff is great, her sewing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nova is so talented - I love her projects - she makes it all seem so easy......Thanks for sharing, both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this interview - I follow Nova's blog and it was fun learning more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful additional insight into the woman behind the lovely blog. Thanks for all of the inspiration, Nova! And thanks flowerpress, for giving us this interview. Off to check your blog now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an amazing winner of our comp last year! Nova's sewing is immaculate it's great to hear more about her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)