Thursday 8 April 2010

pincushion swap




My pincushion for the Foxs Lane Pincushion swap goes in the mail tomorrow. Oh, I've been biting my fingernails over this one. I've actually never been in a large organised swap before, especially one like this which requires sewing skills!

I can't wait to share who my swap partner is, let's just say it was a bit of a surprise when I got that email ;-) The lovely Kate who organised it all was very encouraging though. So after a little (lots) of googling and some (lots) of pondering I settled on a couple of styles that I liked and pulled out the fabric stash, every last thread of it.

I decided I wanted to combine some different types of fabric for my partner - for a start I knew I wanted a bit of Flower Press in there, and I certainly wanted some vintage which my swap partner and I both love. Lastly I couldn't go past some linen which is one of my favourite things. I just love to see it in combination with other fabrics (which is why I loved the pincushion I got from Andi at Patchandi so much! See down the bottom isn't it great!)

There was a bit of experimentation. I'd just got my new Janome and it was the perfect first project. And I was having so much fun I made a little needlebook to go with. I made the design for this up as I went along and I love the way it turned out, with the little button tag and pocket. I might make a few more and play around with the pockets and things.

I (really really) hope my swap partner likes this little set. They are made with lots of care and thought and I found the idea of sewing for someone else a great incentive and inspiration. Its a little scary to start with but I think I might just swap again some time!


Patchandi's beautiful pincushion arrived so quickly I was really surprised! I really love her choice of fabrics, red and linen - how perfect! And how nice is that contrasting ribbon. I have it in blue but might have to get some red!

Follow my blog with bloglovin

15 comments :

  1. I love it! I wish I was your swap partner, but I am prety sure it is not me :( Love that you have incorporated one of your beautiful tea towels into your design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect. Lucky, lucky mystery swap person...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet your swap partner will love it. I know I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie, I love your pincushion, (actually I just adore your textiles full stop!) and the one you got from patchandi is so cool too! what a great idea. I love big cushions that look like pin cushions, but as softer! why don't people make them more? hmmmm, hmmm? there's a hidden market there! :) he he. hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both so very gorgeous... breathtaking in fact :) Isn't it wonderful how such a small thing can be such a fabulous showcase of talent? Just beautiful. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love how this pin cushions are. Lucky for that swap partner you have. I wish it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fabric choices - blue and green is a current favourite of mine. And the needle book is an inspired addition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you got that gorgeous one of Andi's! I loved that one! But wow, yours are super super gorgeous! Very lucky partner indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours is truly beautiful ... especially with the needle book to go with it.
    Great idea!!
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fabrics!!!
    xxx, Glòria

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are so sweet. Thanks a million :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous contribution! Very lucky recipient! How nice to have a fun project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one gorgeous pin cushion! She'll love it for sure! The needle book is a great touch too, I love the button closure. Thanks so much for playing and being such a great swapper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great little package you created!
    so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)