Thursday 10 July 2008

hakea laurina


One of our amazing Australian natives, the Hakea laurina has the most spectacular flowers on a beautiful small tree. I planted this one a few years ago in our back garden and I've been (im)patiently waiting for it to flower. The other day I was delighted to notice a few buds opening among the branches. And they are as beautiful as I remember them. Another food source for all the nectar-loving bird visitors I love having in my garden and a spark of beauty in the middle of winter. The other day the paper described this as traditionally the coldest week of the year, coming soon after the shortest day (which in Sydney is not that cold, but we don't do winter that well!)
We are off to Bathurst in the Central West for a holiday with family and hoping to see snow on our trip. My kids have never seen it so it would be a wonderful surprise.

1 comment :

  1. Exquisite! The local flora and fauna will no doubt be very grateful :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)